People with disabilities used to face a lot of problems while travelling. They not only had to deal with their disability but also issues like poor assistance, damage to mobility equipment and bad treatment.
With time the facilities offered for disabled people have improved considerably. There are various disabled transit services which help them to move around in their city without depending on an assistant. There are specialized services for disabled people on railway stations and airports to help them have an enjoyable experience while travelling to different cities and countries.
If you are suffering from a disability and wish to travel to different places, here are few tips which can help in making your trip a safe, comfortable and an enjoyable one:
– Plan in Advance -When you are planning to travel out of your city, it is very important that you plan your trip well in advance. Do proper research about the place you are willing to travel and make a list of accessible hotels, routes and travel destinations. Find out what type of facilities that place offers for disabled people. Make a list of all the things you will need during travel. Consult your doctor and get a physical check up done before travelling. Also, get your wheelchair serviced and repaired. Plan your routes carefully and read all the accessibility information online in the visitor’s guide.
– Book Hotels and other services in advance – It is both convenient and cheaper to book a hotel in advance. Inform them about your disability, so that they can arrange for services accordingly. If you are planning to rent a wheelchair, handicap van or any other vehicle, don’t wait for it until you reach that place. Make all the bookings and arrangements before leaving for the trip. If you are in need of any type of medical equipment like oxygen mask, tell your airlines and the hotel owner well before time.
– Travel Agency – There are specialized travel agents and tour operators for disabled people. They are aware about the concerns of disabled people and can offer you a lot of good tips and wide range of specialized services. They can help arrange accessible transportation and can advice you on the best routes to follow. if you want someone to travel with you, look for companies that offer travel nurses and travel assistants to accompany disabled travelers.
– Make sure you carry all essential things like medical cards, insurance papers, debit and credit cards, important phone numbers and driving license.
– Read as much as you can about travelling with a disability either online or in travel books and guides. You can also read personal experiences of disabled travelers.
– Reach your place of travel like railway station or airport well in advance.
The above mentioned tips can help a disabled person have an easy, anxiety free and safe travel experience.